About Wavve Boating
Wavve Boating is a Kingston-based startup that’s goal is to completely disrupt the boating industry with our new app that takes a modern spin on nautical charts and the on-the-water social community. Two years ago we set out to transform the boating experience on the 1000 islands, and today our app serves boaters all across North America.
Removing dangers, connecting boaters, and sharing experiences is what we do.
About the Role
The Software Engineer is responsible for supporting all number of activities related to Android app development and technical support generally. Using Wavve’s existing iOS build to guide them, the ideal candidate would take on the development of an Android version. This person is also responsible for technical support and improvement of the existing iOS product. This position is the perfect fit for knowledgeable, skilled, and motivated self-starters who are excited by the prospect of contributing in a big way.
We want our next team member to be someone truly epic, who believes in Wavve’s vision, and understands that calculated risks are worth taking. We’re excited to have you along for the ride!
Job duties include:
Plan and Build
- Collaborate with iOS lead to define, design, and build the Android version.
- Work with the Mapbox SDK to integrate Wavve’s nautical charts and functionalities.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
Prepare and Update Documentation
- Maintain project, drafts, files, codes and scripts in an organized manner that allows other team members to make edits/suggestions/changes.
R and D
- Research, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency.
- Continually learn about new programming languages, operating system updates, and other information that will affect the functions of applications in development.
- Conduct unit-testing code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability.
- Help facilitate software updates, patches, and roll outs.
- Work on bug fixing and improving application performance.
Miscellaneous Duties as Required
Wavve Boating is a start-up environment where everyone supports each other and pitches in to help get the job done. This means that even though you’re the Junior Developer, you may be asked to do any number of tasks and we expect you to take them on with enthusiasm - whether it’s to take an eight hour road trip to work a trade show in Rhode Island, walk Bean the office dog (we’re kidding but you will probably want to), delve into app and search optimization, test competitor products , or fly a drone.
Requirements for this role:
- 1-3 years of experience developing applications for mobile platforms like Android or iOS
- 1-3 years of experience in software programming in Java, C++ or Object C
- Experienced working with SCM tools like GIT, SVN or Clearcase
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience developing and understanding algorithms
- Bachelor's Degree and/or College Diploma in Computer science, Engineering or relevant fields
- History of following through and making it count when it matters most!
You are our ideal candidate if:
- You love boating, sailing, or just H2O generally!
- You have a strong understanding of the Android OS and platform.
- You have experience worthing with the Mapbox SDK, or other mapping softwares.
- You’ve built an Android app that’s awesome.
- You develop with the future and scalability in mind.
- You use apps daily.
- You’ve always wanted to be part of a start-up.
- You thrive in innovative environments.
- You have strong attention to detail.
- You have an eye for design - and a passion for UX.
- You enjoy researching and learning.
- You enjoy staying up to date with news, trends, and innovations.
- You enjoy a good laugh - especially at work surrounded by a team that acts like a team.
- Our core values - Be Better Everyday, Make It Happen, Always Remember The Data, Never Pass The Buck, Appreciate What You Don’t Know, Get IN The Customer’s Boat, Enjoy The Ride! - SPEAK to you.
Apply today! Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org