About Wavve Boating
Wavve Boating is a Kingston-based startup that’s mission is to make boating easier, safer, and more enjoyable for everyone. We are disrupting the boating industry with our marine navigation app that takes a modern spin on nautical charts and the on-the-water social community.
You can find our software in the hands of tens of thousands of boaters across the United States and Canada, integrated onto the latest models from SeaDoo, and adopted by Boat Clubs/Boat Rentals across the continent.
In just a few years of existence, we’ve partnered with industry heavy hitters such as Bombardier Recreational Products, Freedom Boat Club and Kalkomey.
About the Role
The GIS Specialist will play a pivotal role within Wavve Boating by acquiring, managing, and manipulating our nautical chart data that is provided to tens of thousands of boaters. The ideal candidate will have experience in GIS and software development.
In this role you will be responsible for taking nautical data from our licensed providers in S-57 format, using our defined process to prepare the data, upload to our mapping provider, design activities as required, and checking for quality/completeness.
You will also support our software development team in their development of a marine auto-guidance solution as well as with our projects to convert raster chart data to it’s vector equivalent.
You may be the perfect fit if you are a quick learner, have an extremely high attention to detail, passionate about GIS, and want to grow with a rapidly accelerating company. We expect to triple our customer base in 2022 and look forward to your help. .
This role will be responsible for:
- Managing all nautical data from our various sources including hydrographic offices, department of natural resources, and other marine based associations.
- Processing data from S-57 and uploading to our mapping provider – Mapbox.
- Designing map data in Mapbox as required.
- Using GIS tools to support the software development team in creating a marine auto guidance solution. This will require manually plotting navigable channels of water for large areas of water.
- Reviewing the results of our image recognition raster/vector chart conversion software, correcting mistakes, and suggesting areas of improvement to support the software development team.
- Continually researching and investigating marine chart data sources for high priority bodies of water as defined by the Wavve management team.
- Continually reviewing areas for process improvement as it relates to our nautical maps.
Requirements for this role:
- A high attention to detail.
- At least two years of GIS experience and associated mapping tools.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written.
- A hands on attitude – being both analytical and hard working.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively.
- Excited to work with a small team where you can make a big difference.
- GIS/Software Development/Computer Science degree.
You are our ideal candidate if:
- You love boating, sailing, or just H2O generally!
- You are analytical by nature – you use data to draw conclusions and make decisions
- You enjoy researching and learning
- You enjoy a good laugh
- Our core values –
Be better every day: We push ourselves and each other to learn, improve, and get better every day
Make it happen:
We act, we do, we work hard to make the right things happen
Always remember the data: It supports the decisions and conclusions we make
Embrace the journey, together: We learn from the lows, we celebrate the highs, and we always make sure to enjoy ourselves with laughter and fun along the way
Collaborative: We love creating win-win situations between our teammates, customers, and stakeholders.
Accountability: We own an “it’s on me” mentality to grow ourselves and the business.
– SPEAK to you.
Our preference is to have a team member who can work with us in the Kingston Ontario office but consideration will be given to remote work.
Candidates are asked to submit their resume along with a well-crafted cover letter outlining their relevant experience.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.